Saturday, August 14, 2010

A crochety bio

My son's turtle blanket.  Same pattern as the crazy cupcake turtles from high school.
I want to share with you a brief crochety history. I started crocheting when I was really little. I am the oldest of four and was really excited when I convinced my mom to spend one on one time with me to teach me. We didn't realize at that moment but since I sat across from her instead of beside her I mirrored her resulting in my being a left handed crocheter. She taught me to chain, double crochet and single crochet. After that I just stared at the things she made and figured out for myself how to do things like increase and decrease etc. I was much more interested in making clothes for my toys rather than playing with them, or making bags or anything a little girl can think up as useful.


When I was in highschool I made my first afghan. Over the summer holidays I had an incredibly bad eye infection so I could not work. I stayed home and listened to movies and made a crazy, cupcake coloured, turtle explosion blanket to match a friend's homemade pajama pants. This was pivotal because I finally learned how to read a pattern at this point, and discovered I can crochet by feel, not by sight! Three cheers for when I get older.


The next real crochet highlights happened after I met my husband. I made the sweater that I wore to our outdoor december wedding, it is gorgeous and has a train. That Christmas he was joking around that I should make him a scarf and mittens. I asked "what colours?" he responded with "black, purple and orange." Yes. Black, purple and orange. He was kidding. I didn't know that. We didn't have a lot of money so I snuck away on the bus when he was not looking to get the yarn and I made him a scarf and mittens in secret. On our first Christmas morning together he opens this gift in front of my family and his face was so awesome it was worth the misunderstanding. He does like them now, but they had to grow on him first! The next Christmas was a flop as well. I made the mistake of making a sweater for my husband .... I collaborated with him, he picked the pattern, the colour and everything. I, uh, modified the pattern because he is really tall and he ended up with a not so romantic looking tunic (which is a super feat to make a sweater that goes almost to the knees of someone who is 6'6") I am still begging him to throw it out.


I have lovingly started to making things for my son. I started making clothes and stopped. I made my first outfit and realized it is a sleeper that only does up around the neck. With all the diaper changing I would do that got discarded fast!! I made him his own turtle blanket in blues and greens as soon as I found out about him and I am sure I am not done experimenting on him.

3 comments:

  1. i would love to know where you came up with pattern or where to get it PLEASE ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a pattern for this blanket. My niece would love this! I know this was posted quite awhile ago, but thought I'd try. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a pattern for this blanket. My niece would love this! I know this was posted quite awhile ago, but thought I'd try. Thank you

    ReplyDelete